Select to view content in your preferred language

Edit Microsoft SQL Data in ArcGIS Pro

04-25-2024 04:19 AM
Labels (3)
Akashi_M
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

I have following problem regarding my companies Microsoft SQL Server 2019. We are currently considering using ArcGIS Pro to access our Microsoft SQL Server. So far we are already using MapInfo and QGIS to access the database. With both programmes, we can process the data with several users at the same time, which is very important for our workflow.

The problem I am now facing is that I can establish a connection to the server, view the data in ArcGIS Pro and also carry out queries. However, I cannot edit the datasets, e.g. digitise new objects or similar. ArcGIS Pro says that the datasets are only available as "Read Only" and therefore cannot be edited. The data is displayed with "dbo.Filename" with the file type database feature class.

I have tried to find a solution using the online documentation, but I can find several possible reasons for this. Basically, it would be important that the database can  be accessed with ArcGIS Pro as well as QGIS and MapInfo and that changes can be made.

Is there a solution for this?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Georg

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Is it an enterprise geodatabase or a simple SQL Server database? Enterprise geodatabases and ArcGIS Enterprise

You cannot connect directly to databases from ArcGIS Pro and edit the data. To edit database data, you must publish it. Databases, data warehouses, and ArcGIS

Edit data

You cannot edit data in a cloud data warehouse from ArcGIS.

You cannot connect directly to most supported databases* from ArcGIS Pro and edit the data. To edit database data, you must publish it.

If you have a GIS Server site federated with an ArcGIS Enterprise portal, publish a web feature layer that references your source data. This creates a feature layer item in the portal that you can share with groups whose members need to edit the data. Set the level of editing you want to allow through the web feature layer.

If you have a stand-alone GIS Server site, publish a map service with feature capabilities enabled, enable editing on the service, and give people access to it so they can edit the data.

Here is another Blog explaining the same: Can I edit data in a database not enabled as a geodatabase from ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
BSBlagojevic
New Contributor III

Yes! It is correct!

0 Kudos