Select to view content in your preferred language

Dynamic legend

12-13-2020 05:54 AM
Labels (2)
AvivitLevy
New Contributor III

Hello,

I'm using ArcGIS 2.6.3 and I have some questions:

1. If I want to show values related to the current view of a map - I can do it in the Map tab? or just use it in the Layout tab?

2. I checked in the Layout tab in the Element pane of the legend: 'Only show features visible in the map extent' but nothing changed with the legend. I see the same values of the legend no matter the area I choose (the image is raster layer created by Calculator (raster functions) ) what can be the reason?

3. Just to be sure, in one Layout I can insert only one layer? the layer that currently display in the Map tab? 

Thank you

Avivit

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Avivit, 

1. As you've discovered you can configure Layout Legend items to display only features or classes for features that display in the current map extent.  For more information on this please refer to Work with legend items. You can also configure the Table View to filter for visible features when working with Map View. For help here please see Filter data in the table.

2. This might be a bug.  Can you contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

3. I'm not quite sure what the question is. A layout can contain multiple map frames. Each map frame references a single map which may contain a single layer or many layers. Please see Add and modify map frames for more information.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

0 Kudos
AvivitLevy
New Contributor III

Thank you very much Tom,

1. So the dynamic legend presents only in the Layout and not in the Map.

3. The question was if I have one map with a few layers, I create a layout. Can I open a few frames and each frame to show a different layer? 

Thanks again for your help,

Avivit

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Avivit,

1. Yes, a dynamic legend on the layout is only affected by the current extent of it's source map frame. It is independent of other map frames and map views.

3. No, you cannot display different versions, with different layers visible, of the same map in different map frames. You will need different maps for this. You can copy/paste the maps and then change the visibility as needed. Here is the pertinent information from the help topic:  Add and modify map frames

Screenshot 2020-11-19 053457.png

There is an idea you may be interested related to your question you may find interesting - Locked Multiple Layouts in ArcGIS Pro

Tom

0 Kudos