Duplicate map without basemaps

Jump to solution
11-30-2021 01:51 AM
SalahAjjur
New Contributor III

I often need to duplicate the current map into several ones and use them to create a layout. The basemaps (Topography and Hillshade) that are created when inserting a new map make the process very slow. So can I duplicate the current map without "insert - new map"?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

For "The basemaps (Topography and Hillshade) that are created when inserting a new map make the process very slow." -go to Options > Map and Scene > Basemap and set that to None if you prefer to not have the default basemaps added to maps that you create in your projects.

KoryKramer_1-1638278125287.png

If you've done that, a quick way to to duplicate a map is to simply grab it and drag it into the Maps container.  In the .gif below, I first show copy/paste, but then see that if I just drag Map1 into the Maps container, it duplicates the map.

CopyMap.gif

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

For "The basemaps (Topography and Hillshade) that are created when inserting a new map make the process very slow." -go to Options > Map and Scene > Basemap and set that to None if you prefer to not have the default basemaps added to maps that you create in your projects.

KoryKramer_1-1638278125287.png

If you've done that, a quick way to to duplicate a map is to simply grab it and drag it into the Maps container.  In the .gif below, I first show copy/paste, but then see that if I just drag Map1 into the Maps container, it duplicates the map.

CopyMap.gif

SalahAjjur
New Contributor III

Why the copied maps do not appear in the drawing area, one should double-click on the map to activate it! Or there is a way to show the copied maps, as default!

Also, why the map numbering is not accurate when using dragging? It starts with Map11 instead of Map2

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Perhaps if using better-named maps the numbering issue is less confusing.  If my original map is named Map One, then when I copy it the copy is called Map One1, and so on...

KoryKramer_0-1638280353137.png

When a copy of a map is created, a map view is not opened by default.  It is necessary to open it. When you say "drawing area", are you referring to the layout page since the original question does indicate you're working in a layout?  To duplicate map frames (not maps, note that these map frames all point to the same map), you can hold Ctrl + drag.

Duplicate Map Frames.gif

0 Kudos
SalahAjjur
New Contributor III

Thanks Kory for the clarification.

Meanwhile, I suggest fixing the numbering issue.

0 Kudos