Domain Value Not Showing Up in ArcCatalog After Adding It In ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
03-25-2022 09:00 AM
mhudson
New Contributor III

We currently have a mixed use environment where some users are still using ArcMap/ArcCatalog 10.7.1 and others are starting to use ArcGIS Pro 2.9. I added a new domain coded value for a user using ArcGIS Pro. However, the domain value is not showing up in ArcMap/ArcCatalog after adding it. I've attempted to add it a number of times and I have not had any luck with it showing up.

After doing a little more digging it appears there are two domains with the same name when I query the database in SQL. In fact, there are a number of domains that are duplicated when querying them in SQL. These duplicates do not show up in ArcCatalog or ArcGIS Pro when looking at the domains.

Anyone have an idea as to how to get this value to show up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Orphaned/duplicated domains can be seen in the GDB_ITEMS repository table and can be deleted manually using SQL Server Management Studio.  Once the duplicate(s) are deleted, test the workflow again of adding a new value to the single (non-duplicated) domain.  It should be visible to both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro users.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Try exiting ArcMap / ArcCatalog and starting them again.

0 Kudos
mhudson
New Contributor III

I appreciate the response.

This is something I've tried every time except for after the first time I added the new value. At that time I could see it in ArcGIS Pro, so I assumed it was ready to go. However, a user tried using the domain in ArcMap and informed me the new value was not available. Upon checking ArcCatalog at that time, the new value was not present.

Every time after that first initial attempt, I have checked both locations. Unfortunately, each time it is there in Pro, but not in ArcCatalog

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Orphaned/duplicated domains can be seen in the GDB_ITEMS repository table and can be deleted manually using SQL Server Management Studio.  Once the duplicate(s) are deleted, test the workflow again of adding a new value to the single (non-duplicated) domain.  It should be visible to both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro users.

mhudson
New Contributor III

Let me give this a try and report back.

I didn't want to delete one of the duplicates just in case it would cause a problem within the feature classes accessing the domain.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
mhudson
New Contributor III

That worked! Thank you for the help on this, I really appreciate it and now my user is happy again.

Map2021
New Contributor III

When I check GDB_ITEMS I see a listing of every domain and feature class etc in my GDB. Is there a way to filter this list, is there an attribute in this table that allows me to just see my domains? Thank you.

0 Kudos
mhudson
New Contributor III

In SSMS,

something like this should give you all of the Coded Value Domains:

SELECT *
FROM dbo.GDB_ITEMS
INNER JOIN dbo.GDB_ITEMTYPES ON dbo.GDB_ITEMS.Type = dbo.GDB_ITEMTYPES.UUID
WHERE dbo.GDB_ITEMTYPES.Name = 'Coded Value Domain'

I am not a SQL expert by any means., but I hope this helps.

0 Kudos