Select to view content in your preferred language

Does ArcGIS Pro support MS Access 2007 (accdb)?

Jump to solution
08-07-2015 09:15 AM
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I've been tinkering around with ArcGIS Pro today and one thing I cannot seem to resolve is connecting to an Access 2007 (accdb) database.

In ArcMap 10.3 you would create an OLE connection in ArcCatalog then you have access to the tables in the database.

There seems to be no way of creating an OLE connection? Is this correct or has it been renamed to something else and I've just missed it? I've searched the online help and I come across many pages that explicitly state that OLE connections are accepted, here is just one example. Is this a scenario where the Help has just been copied 'n' pasted from ArcMap Help and ArcGIS Pro does not actually support OLE connections? ESRI are usually pretty good at providing help documentation, put this is pretty sloppy especially for it's new flagship desktop software? This page talks only about what is supported, I would have though it was just as important to explicitly state what is not supported!

So if OLE connections are not supported now, is there a plan to include them in a later release? Half the World uses MS Access, seems a bit of an odd business plan to just drop support for them?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Ryan

In Data Interoperability jargon, real time reading of data sources would be handled by default format read capability or interoperability connections, and these are not yet implemented in Pro.  If you are not familiar with how they work in ArcCatalog or the catalog window in ArcMap, a non-native format or interoperability connection presents a data source as a node in the Catalog tree containing whatever child elements the data source supports, like feature classes and tables.

0 Kudos
RyanCoodey
Frequent Contributor

Ahh, I am going to look into "interoperability connections" as that could be the solution then... well once they come to Pro. Any roadmap plan for that feature?

Sorry for the duplicate post over on the ideas forum too. Wanted to get the idea out there for voting. Maybe I need to change it to say "or using these interoperability connections".

Thanks a lot Bruce.

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

The capability to read non-native data sources as connections within a project's Catalog pane is planned for ArcGIS Pro.  If you create a Spatial ETL tool or open the Workbench application from the Analysis ribbon you can read your data now, but this requires running a geoprocessing step to access the data and move it into a workspace already known to Pro.

RyanCoodey
Frequent Contributor

Bruce Harold wrote:

The capability to read non-native data sources as connections within a project's Catalog pane is planned for ArcGIS Pro.

That is great news as we didn't get that same impression when talking to other ESRI folks recently.

I was playing with the "interoperability connections" in ArcMap and they seem like that could be the ticket when they come to Pro. I do need to figure out a few quirks, like it works fine until I save and close the map, then reopen and the join is gone and connection not working in Catalog. And the JDBC option gives an error when selecting the tables. Don't want to highjack this thread with those details though. Might need to work with support but will play with it some more. I also need to confirm what the refresh interval is. Seems like it is on map opening maybe.

Thanks again Bruce as we now have some optimism this functionality is coming to Pro.