Documentation on ArcGIS Pro Licensing Through Portal

Jump to solution
10-06-2014 09:58 AM
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

At Pre-release, when logging in, I see an option to use Portal to license ArcGIS Pro:

arcgis_pro_portal_login.PNG

However, when I put in our Portal URL, I get the following error:

arcgis_pro_portal_no-license.PNG

Obviously, we need to load Pro licenses into Portal, but I can't seem to find documentation on how to do that or even where we get licenses.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobElkins
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS Server Standard and Advanced Edition customers on Maintenance are entitled at 10.3 to a number of named users that can be used with Portal for ArcGIS. To enable these named users in Portal for ArcGIS, you will need to request a Portal license file from My Esri. 

If you are also entitled to ArcGIS Pro (b/c you own Desktop), these ArcGIS Pro licenses can also be managed with Portal for ArcGIS 10.3. The Portal for ArcGIS Administrator help at Prerelease already includes a topic on this called 'Configure ArcGIS Pro licenses'.  Take a lot at that topic for more details

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DavidWatkins
Esri Contributor

Hi Joshua,

This is just a timing thing. You'll need a 10.3 release of Portal in order to use if for licensing ArcGIS Pro. You got the Pre-release of Pro a little earlier than everyone else since you're in the beta program.

David

0 Kudos
RobElkins
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS Server Standard and Advanced Edition customers on Maintenance are entitled at 10.3 to a number of named users that can be used with Portal for ArcGIS. To enable these named users in Portal for ArcGIS, you will need to request a Portal license file from My Esri. 

If you are also entitled to ArcGIS Pro (b/c you own Desktop), these ArcGIS Pro licenses can also be managed with Portal for ArcGIS 10.3. The Portal for ArcGIS Administrator help at Prerelease already includes a topic on this called 'Configure ArcGIS Pro licenses'.  Take a lot at that topic for more details

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We already have 10.2 Portal running with named users, will hopefully have 10.3 up and running in test environment shortly.

Thanks for the pointer about Pro licensing information, I will take a look.  Will this same information be available on ArcGIS Resources so users don't have to download and extract files to look at higher level information like licensing?

0 Kudos
AndrewWilson99
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for suggesting this Joshua Bixby‌.

While "gun-and-shoot" infrastructure management may work for beta, hopefully we (GIS infrastructure managers/providers) can chart our path in advance and not have to go down a quasi-reverse engineering path (install, see what happens, tweak, see what happens) in the future.   Writing that down (installing so I can see what to do / what happens) in enterprise service request documentation is a little embarassing!

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sadly, I ended up having to install Portal 10.3 on a workstation just to access the documentation on licensing Pro through Portal!  Seems ridiculous, but I have yet to find another place where the information is readily available.

0 Kudos