Divide Tool Button Greyed Out

2 weeks ago
CooperCarlisle
Emerging Contributor

Hello!

I could use some guidance.

I’m working with ArcGIS 3.3 Advanced and trying to divide polygons into four sections. I've imported the necessary data, converted it into polygons, and ensured they are editable. However, when I select one or more polygons and attempt to use the divide tool, the "divide" button remains greyed out. I’ve double-checked that no layers are locked, all sections are editable, and all polylines have been converted to polygons.

I'm stuck and not sure what I'm missing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So the process to follow to Divide a polygon using the Divide tool is as follows:

1. Click the Edit tab and select the Divide tool from the Tools group.
2. Select the polygon to divide - you should see blue dashed lines on the selected polygon.
3.  Choose the Method to split - Proportional, Equal Area, or Equal Width.
4. Next, ArcGIS Pro needs to know what direction to divide - top, bottom, left, right?  Choose the direction type - polygon edge or draw a line.  If polygon, left click the direction to split.  If line, draw a graphic line.
5.  Set the number of parts to divide into.
6.  Click the Divide button - should work!

0 Kudos
CooperCarlisle
Emerging Contributor

Robert,

Thank you for your timely response! However, I am still having issues. I have gone through the steps you have sent me, but the divide button is still greyed out.

Again, I've checked the shape I am trying to divide is indeed a polygon. I am not sure why the divide tool is giving me so much trouble.

Though, one thing doesn't match the instructions you gave: when I select the polygon, I get greyed out lines highlighted in green. I have attached a screenshot for reference. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Good morning @CooperCarlisle - is it possible to share the data with me so I may test on my side?  If so, my email address is rleclair at esri dot com - thx!

0 Kudos
CooperCarlisle
Emerging Contributor

Hello!

I’m working with ArcGIS 3.3 Advanced and trying to divide polygons into four sections. I've imported the necessary data, converted it into polygons, and ensured they are editable. However, when I select one or more polygons and attempt to use the divide tool, the "divide" button remains greyed out. I’ve double-checked that no layers are locked, all sections are editable, and all polylines have been converted to polygons.

I do not have permission to upload images... I am sorry.

0 Kudos
CooperCarlisle
Emerging Contributor

Hello!

0 Kudos
JenniferCadkin
Esri Contributor

@CooperCarlisle  I believe it is because Area is zero. Try increasing the Area value to 5000 (number of parts can stay at 4) and see what happens

0 Kudos