Distances: units and why different from manual

Jump to solution
03-15-2022 05:50 PM
Labels (2)
Mikhail
Occasional Contributor

I use 'Generate near table' to measure distances from a set of points to a point of interest. I got my results, but the distances came in some odd units. To resolve this issue, I manually measured the distances for 10 randomly selected points. The outcome was that my 'unit' equals approx. 131 km - I wonder what unit it could be. Even more worryingly, whilst 131 was the average multiplier, it differed point-by-point from 111 to 171 which is quite a lot. Why could this be? Has anyone met with a similar problem? Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

distances are in the units of the coordinates of the data.  If the units are "strange" there is a good chance that your data are in decimal degrees and your distances are in decimal degrees.

From Generate Near Table (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

They suggest to use an appropriate projected data set prior to calculating the distances (ie use the Project tool)

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

distances are in the units of the coordinates of the data.  If the units are "strange" there is a good chance that your data are in decimal degrees and your distances are in decimal degrees.

From Generate Near Table (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

They suggest to use an appropriate projected data set prior to calculating the distances (ie use the Project tool)

... sort of retired...
Mikhail
Occasional Contributor

Got it, thank you so much! On my map the system was set to Web Mercator, I changed it to British National Grid...and got the same 'strange' units again. What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
Mikhail
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, I kept trying and know the answer now. Had to set the method to geodesic. Thank you again for your help!