Select to view content in your preferred language

Distance Between Polygon and Address

03-09-2024 01:57 PM
Labels (1)
MikeHammett
Emerging Contributor
I have a layer that is polygons.
One of the data fields is a street address.
How can I determine which polygons are a street address that is more than X miles away from the polygon?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Eugene_Adkins
Frequent Contributor

Do you have a feature class that represents your addresses?

If so, I believe the select by location will accomplish your goal.

0 Kudos
ThomasHoman
Frequent Contributor

Do you have access to either the esri World Geocoder or a locally constructed locator with either address points or street centerline ranges?

There are probably faster ways to do this but this is my method. Also check out https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/measuring-distance-from-points-within-a-polygon-t... 

1 - Get your reference point for the polygon (centroid, etc) and calculate geometry to store X,Y location and address as fields in the attribute table

2 - Export polygon attribute table to table making sure a reference value back to the polygon as well as XX,Y, and address data

3 - Geocode table created in step 2 making sure to store all data.

4 - Use XY to Line Geoprecessing tool to create lines with reference and geocoded coordinates as end points. This also has the benefit of creating a fishbone dataset that might show crossing lines for bad addresses. Alternatively if the X/Y values are projected as opposed to lat/lon maybe just use Pythagorean distance calc in python.

Tom

0 Kudos
MikeHammett
Emerging Contributor

I ended up:

1. Exporting the parcel number and mailing address from the polygon feature to a table.
  2. Geocoded the table to get points.
  3. Renamed the Parcel Number field back to it's original (it was prefixed with User_)
  4. Used the Near by Group toolbox (https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-desktop/analytics/finding-the-nearest-feature-with-...) matching on the parcel number to add distance between the parcel polygon and the parcel's mailing address point.
  5. Selected by attribute where distance was greater than XYZ distance.