display image in correct coordinate system

Jump to solution
07-30-2020 06:08 AM
AnnaWindle1
New Contributor

I have individual tiff images that I want to display in correct geographical space on ArcGIS Pro. Each tiff has GPS attributes (lat, lon, altitude) under Properties>Details. I am wondering how to use this GPS information to correctly map it in ArcGIS Pro. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GeoNZ
by
Occasional Contributor

You can, but it requires manual geo-referencing. Have a look at the Georeferencing tools on the Imagery bar after adding an image to your map. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GeoNZ
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi Anna

From what you've described, you have geo-tagged images (i.e. photos with GPS location in EXIF) rather than geo-referenced images (i.e. an ortho photo with geo referencing info in the tiff header or external .tfw file).

You can use the 'GeoTagged Photos to Points' tool to create a featureclass where each point is the lat/lon/alt of the photo (WGS84) and optionally add the image as an attachment but note, this won't lay the images 'on the ground' like an ortho photo.

0 Kudos
AnnaWindle1
New Contributor

Thanks Timothy. I added the images as attachments and see them in the Pop-ups. I guess there is no way of laying the images on a map without having geo-referenced images?

0 Kudos
GeoNZ
by
Occasional Contributor

You can, but it requires manual geo-referencing. Have a look at the Georeferencing tools on the Imagery bar after adding an image to your map. 

0 Kudos