Display a specific raster among multiple overlapping raster files

01-18-2023 10:48 PM
MartinEgger
New Contributor II

I have raster files (tif) of all editions of map sheets in a map series. There are several hundred of them and all raster files are georeferenced and stored in a common folder. The file name contains the map sheet number and year of publication. How can I access these raster files easily in Pro? I would like to be able to see an area in multiple releases. For example, what did it look like in 1985, 1993, 2005, etc.?
I have created a mosaic dataset and I am using the 'Raster Item Explorer' but I am not completely satisfied with it. After I have selected the desired edition, I have to add the raster file to the map to be able to see it.
Are there any other ways to solve this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

Create Mosaic datasets for each year, load them all into the map, switch them all off.

Navigate to your area of interest, switch on the layer of the year you're interested in.

Have a great day!
Johannes
0 Kudos
MartinEgger
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply, Johannes. This would be too complicated and would require almost 70 mosaic datasets.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you not satisfied with the Select or Inspect tab options?

Raster Item Explorer—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Inspect gives you a quick preview by navigating through them from what I read. You would have to cycle through them since an area with for multiple releases would occupy the same space and hence can't be viewed side-by-side since they overlap

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos