Select to view content in your preferred language

Disable pop-ups by default

4 weeks ago
TS4
by
New Contributor II

I'm running Pro v3.3.0, and wondering if there's a way to disable pop-ups by default when adding layers. Despite the marketing talk trying to sell me on them (links below), I still haven't found any utility for my workflows. Instead, they just introduce pointless additional steps for me: add layers, select all, disable pop-ups.

(and yes, I've looked at these, and no, I still don't want them on by default:
https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/configure-pop-ups-basics/
https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/mapping/mapping/the-power-of-the-pro-pop-up/
)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

Are you referring to adding layers to an aprx or to an online map?

0 Kudos
TS4
by
New Contributor II

I'm referring here to adding layers to a regular ole map in pro, using the Add Data button, or through catalog, or dragging layers in from explorer.

0 Kudos
Eugene_Adkins

Gotcha. Only suggestion I could make for that is to create an aprx that contains your most commonly used features and turn off the pop- ups for these features, then you could add these features to the aprx you’re working with and the pop-ups should be off. May not be ideal but it’s an idea.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
TS4
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestions, I think it's just one of those things where ESRI has a very Certain View about how people do things, which doesn't always match reality (the sort of thing I think of as Marketing department vs actual users). There are times when you just want to start up Pro, drag some layers in, look around a bit, take a quick screenshot to pop an email, and quit. Not the sort of thing where you will have a pre-existing project, nor will you even save the project when done.

So in lieu of a checkbox ("disable pop-ups when layers are added"), I guess I'll end up writing some code and assigning it to a hot key so I can now get used to starting up Pro and hitting control-shift-X or something every. single. time.

Yay.

0 Kudos
Eugene_Adkins

An additional option would be to publish a feature to your Portal or ArcGIS online account, turn off the pop-up for this feature by default on your online side, then add this feature to your aprx. Doing this would accomplish what you’re looking for although it may not be the ideal workflow you’re looking to use.

0 Kudos