Select to view content in your preferred language

direction issues in parcel fabric

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
Labels (1)
DevakalaiselvanS
New Contributor II

I'm using the most recent version of ArcGIS Pro (3.3). I am provided the write direction and distance when I use the traverse tool to draw the new parcel, but they don't match exactly.How to change the direction problems

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Legal directions and distances (AKA COGO) are based on survey observations. Every survey observation contains an error.

The size of the error is related to many factors, including the type of survey instrument that was used.
When creating a closed traverse, we can calculate the misclose that is caused by those errors and distribute it using a variety of methods.
I would make sure that you are using the correct 'Ground to grid' correction (aka 'combined scale factor') if it is mentioned on your legal document.
If you create a geometry that is slightly short (aka 'undershoot') or slightly too long (aka 'overshoot') , you should keep the legal measurement as it and adjust the geometry. You can use the 'Extend/Trim' tool, or the Edit vertices tool. That way you captured the legal dimensions as well as the correct geometry.

I hope this makes sense

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Legal directions and distances (AKA COGO) are based on survey observations. Every survey observation contains an error.

The size of the error is related to many factors, including the type of survey instrument that was used.
When creating a closed traverse, we can calculate the misclose that is caused by those errors and distribute it using a variety of methods.
I would make sure that you are using the correct 'Ground to grid' correction (aka 'combined scale factor') if it is mentioned on your legal document.
If you create a geometry that is slightly short (aka 'undershoot') or slightly too long (aka 'overshoot') , you should keep the legal measurement as it and adjust the geometry. You can use the 'Extend/Trim' tool, or the Edit vertices tool. That way you captured the legal dimensions as well as the correct geometry.

I hope this makes sense

DevakalaiselvanS
New Contributor II

i understood. thank u

0 Kudos