Select to view content in your preferred language

Difficulty exporting a layer with many polygons into a format compatible with r studio (shp, geojson, xml)

Jump to solution
Sunday
zermpy
by
New Contributor

Hi everyone 🙂

I am a complete newbie trying to figure out how to export or convert this layer of Alberta's Wildlife Management Units into a file I could use for statistical analysis on r studio. I've tried quite a few ways but always end up failing, usually due to the file having no geometry information. My end goal is to create a choropleth map using each unit.

Thank you!

https://geospatial.alberta.ca/titan/rest/services/boundary/fish_and_wildlife_administrative_area_10t...

zermpy_0-1719146343339.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

You can download the WMU polygon feature class and more in either file geodatabase or shapefile format for free from AltaLIS.com. You can select either a geographic coordinate system or TTM (Forest) projected coordinate system. It is in the GeoAdmin BaseFeatures collection (about 66 MB zipped fGDB).

You will need to set up a free account then click Base --> BaseFeatures--> Geo - Administrative Area -->  Select Entire Product --> Add to Cart --> Pick a format/Projection --> Add Item --> Sign In to Order --> Proceed to Checkout --> Proceed with Download --> Accept Licence. You will be prompted if you miss something.

You will be notified by email when the package is ready for download (takes a few minutes).

Keep in mind that Geoadmin Area boundaries can change from time to time and you aren't notified by AltaLIS about updates. These data are provided to AltaLIS for distribution by the Government of Alberta.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

You can download the WMU polygon feature class and more in either file geodatabase or shapefile format for free from AltaLIS.com. You can select either a geographic coordinate system or TTM (Forest) projected coordinate system. It is in the GeoAdmin BaseFeatures collection (about 66 MB zipped fGDB).

You will need to set up a free account then click Base --> BaseFeatures--> Geo - Administrative Area -->  Select Entire Product --> Add to Cart --> Pick a format/Projection --> Add Item --> Sign In to Order --> Proceed to Checkout --> Proceed with Download --> Accept Licence. You will be prompted if you miss something.

You will be notified by email when the package is ready for download (takes a few minutes).

Keep in mind that Geoadmin Area boundaries can change from time to time and you aren't notified by AltaLIS about updates. These data are provided to AltaLIS for distribution by the Government of Alberta.

zermpy
by
New Contributor

Thank you so much! This worked perfectly 🙂

0 Kudos