Select to view content in your preferred language

Delete Rows Tool Fails and then Corrupts Shapefile

03-02-2020 07:31 AM
NatalieRobbins
Regular Contributor

When I create a Select by Location query to find identical features in two shapefiles, I run the Delete Rows tool to get rid of the identical features. About every 1/5 times the Delete Rows tool will fail and then will corrupt the shapefile I am working with. Is this because I am working with shapefiles vs feature classes??

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

That could be because rows are being deleted from the .dbf table but not the .shp file.  Can you include a screenshot of how you're setting up the Delete Rows tool?  For the Input Rows, you're providing it a shapefile, correct? (i.e. Pro isn't "seeing" a separate .dbf?)

Where is the shapefile stored?  If not locally (C drive) does it make any difference if the tool is reading/writing locally?

0 Kudos
NatalieRobbins
Regular Contributor

Hi Kory,

Yes- I am giving it a shapefile, either polygons or lines. 

The shapefile is stored in a local C drive folder, I try to always run locally since it tends to have issues otherwise. I also tried just manually deleting the rows from the attribute table using the delete selected rows button, but that also produced similar results. 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

It would probably be best to work with Technical Support on this one as it will require some troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Even if this does turn out to be a defect with shape files, getting defects addressed takes time, so finding a workaround or alternate workflow is crucial.  You might as well start testing with feature classes now.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You could try  "shapefile repair", in the attachment in this thread

https://community.esri.com/thread/177037#comment-614216 

0 Kudos