Customizing ArcGIS Pro

10-13-2014 10:53 AM
RiverTaig1
Occasional Contributor

I'm wondering if there is any documentation surrounding the ArcGIS Pro .NET API and if it is available at this point for download?  Specifically I am hoping to draw simple graphics on the map, zoom to features or extents, and to create a dockable window (like in ArcMap) with arbitrary content (XAML or windows form).

0 Kudos
6 Replies
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

river,

pls refer to below:

Develop for ArcGIS Pro

Python...

Application-level .NET add-ins written for ArcGIS for Desktop will not run in ArcGIS Pro.

The other ArcGIS for Desktop applications will maintain compatibility with Python script and model tools, and .NET customizations, originally written for ArcGIS for Desktop.

0 Kudos
RobElkins
Esri Contributor

There is no .NET API for ArcGIS at this first release but we are working it.  We'll have a beta and release of the ArcGIS Pro SDK for .NET next year.

As mentioned, we have Python support but not .NET development.

Thanks,

Rob

0 Kudos
MatthiasSchenker
Esri Contributor
DrewDowling

Matthias

I have a couple of older editing tools that are currently just a .dll registered on the end users machines. I was planning on migrating them to a proper .NET addin. Is there any advantage in still doing this or should I hold off and just concentrate in rewriting them for ArcGIS Pro? I guess I'm asking how compatible will Desktop .NET addins be with Pro?

0 Kudos
MatthiasSchenker
Esri Contributor

Hi Drew

Until now I never had the need to convert one of my ArcObjects items (commands, edit tools or anything else) to an Addin, I usually just made sure that the setup works properly.(as described in ArcObjects Help for .NET developers ), I am therefore probaly no the right Person to judge if there is an Advantage in doing this.

Regarding the question of compatibility of the .NET Addins with Pro: The ArcGIS Pro SDK is in some aspects quite different from what you know until now, it has e.g. been redesigned to take advantage of background threads and async/await patterns.when editing (see for example arcgis-pro-samples-beta/CutFeaturesTool.cs at master · Esri/arcgis-pro-samples-beta · GitHub ).

I really look at it the same way as when I compare the UX of ArcMap with the UX of ArcGIS Pro: There are many similarities which help me to get used to it quite fast but there are also many new things where it does not make sense to be able to reuse existing code (at least not in my opinion).

I tis probably a good "exercise" to rewrite one of your tools in the ArcGIS Pro SDK to get a feeling for it but I would not wait for it if I have a need to convert my tools to addins. Please also understand that the first version of the SDK will probably not be "feature complete".

Best regards,

Matthias

DrewDowling

Thank you Matias, your suggestions have helped me plan out my approach. Very helpful.

0 Kudos