Custom Projection in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
11-12-2019 10:41 AM
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

I have created a custom projection in ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2 (NAD 1983 UTM Zone 11N - Foot US), but ArcGIS Pro seems to handle the projection different than ArcGIS Desktop.  When I create a new custom projection in ArcGIS Desktop and change the Linear Unit, the False Easting value is automatically calculated.  But, when I do the same process in ArcGIS Pro, the False Easting value is not auto-calculated and remains at the default linear unit value of the original projection.

Process in ArcGIS Pro

Before changing Linear Unit:

After changing Linear Unit:

Process in ArcGIS Desktop

Before changing Linear Unit:

After changing Linear Unit:

Notice the False_Easting value has changed!

Is this typical behavior?  Does the user have to determine a False Easting value for every custom projection?  This is causing data to plot incorrectly when importing the data into ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Mitch,

Unfortunately, you have found a bug. Fortunately, this issue (tracked here) has been fixed in Pro 2.5, so you should not see it once this new version is released and you have upgraded.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

meter to US foot

Feet (u.s. Survey) to Meters | Kyle's Converter 

500,000 m = 1,640,416.67 US feet

0 Kudos
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks, Dan.  I was just wondering why the user now has to do this conversion and manually input the value in instead of the software.  This could/will lead to an incorrect data entry.  It's just strange that the function is found in ArcGIS Desktop and not ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sound like ArcGIS Ideas‌ … probably due to web stuff

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Mitch,

Unfortunately, you have found a bug. Fortunately, this issue (tracked here) has been fixed in Pro 2.5, so you should not see it once this new version is released and you have upgraded.