Custom Basemap won't Update

10-18-2022 02:16 AM
Göran
by
New Contributor III

I usually work in projects where I create several maps with different theme layers ontop of a common basemap. It sounds like basemap would be the perfect solution for this but for unkown reasons it is not.

My workflow now:

- Create a map which contains the background information I want avaible in all (or nearly all) maps in the project.

- Convert the map to basemap

- Create several new maps and pick the new custom basemap from the basemap gallery - so far so good.

Some days later I realize something needs to change in the basemap and hence I do the edits to symbology or add layers and the like. I would expect these changes to update in each map that have the basemap nestled into them. but no. Instead the basemap in each different map is a 'dumb' still view of how the basemap looked when it where first added (and I can make other changes to it as I wish in the separate maps). Why is this the case? Is this really how basemaps are supossed to work??

What is the idea on how your supposed to work with basemaps if not as I expect them to behave? Why would I wan't to create a basemap if it can't function as a living basemap on which I create my theme maps?

What is a good workaround? How do you solve similar instances?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Göran
by
New Contributor III

Anyone now if this is the intended functionality? Anyone from ESRI? Am I missing something obvious?

0 Kudos