Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating Polygons from a Template...but geometry doesn't exist!

02-08-2024 01:02 PM
RainbowUnicorn
New Contributor III

OK...working a project that involves some very, very simple polygons (anchorage areas) and out of literally no where Pro (3.2.0) has decided that I can create a polygon, but when I complete the shape it throws out my geometry and only keeps the attributes (which are also, very, very simple...just a name.)

Of course, as an ArcGIS Pro user, I'm immediately thinking "what did I do wrong?"...did I inadvertently click/fat-finger some stupid setting that says "make all my polygons without geometry"??  I'd give a screen shot but snipping a map with a polygon that was created, but then disappears immediately upon completion really doesn't help anything.  Here's a snip of the attribute table:

RainbowUnicorn_0-1707425980841.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@RainbowUnicorn When this happens, do you notice any Drawing Alerts showing at the bottom of the map view? Either way, I would contact Esri Technical Support so they can investigate.

0 Kudos
RainbowUnicorn
New Contributor III

I figured it out…finally. I was working in one projection and then shifted to web Mercator to see how badly distorted the boundaries would become. I (stupidly…I was rushing) didn’t shift back to the original projection and because the layer I was working on was being projected on the fly, any new geometry edits were “blocked.”

The warning was evident in the edit menu in the contents pane.