Creating new network datasets in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
11-24-2016 09:20 PM
ColinStewart1
New Contributor II

Is it possible yet to create new network datasets in ArcGIS Pro, much as you can via ArcCatalog? I understand that it wasn't possible a year ago, but has anything changed since then? If it is possible, what are the steps? If not, is this a feature that we can expect to see in the near future?

Alternatively, is it possible to make a new dataset via the "Create Template From Network Dataset" and "Create Network Dataset From Template" tools? I'm imagining creating a generic XML template from an existing network via the first tool, then modifying the XML to allow the template to be used to generate a new dataset via the second tool with a completely different set of input features (lines and junctions). Is this possible?

Much appreciated.

-Colin

22 Replies
Torstein_S_Throndsen
New Contributor

Thanks for the update, Robert!

JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

I just want to clarify that Utility Network capabilities in Pro do not have anything to do with Network Analyst or Network Datasets. Utility Networks are for modeling and analyzing networks with flows such as electric networks. Network datasets are for modeling and analyzing transportation networks.

The ArcGIS Pro 2.1 release will not have the capability of creating new network datasets with a wizard. There will be more capabilities for viewing the network dataset properties (costs/restrictions) and you can continue to create network datasets with a template from the schema of an existing network dataset.

Jay Sandhu

BenjaminOrpilla
New Contributor II

Hi Jay Sandhu‌, Any news on when the 'Create New Network Dataset" will be available in ArcGIS Pro? Are there any alternatives that I can do? I don't have any previous network data so using an XML template is out the options.

Cheers,

Benjie

0 Kudos
tmaptmap
New Contributor

Hi Jay Sandhu, I was wondering if the capability to create a new network dataset is already available in ArcGIS Pro 2.1.

Many thanks,

Tiago

0 Kudos
GabrielaWaesch1
New Contributor

At the moment, Arc Pro 2.1 does not have the capability to create a new network dataset. Apparently, that is still being worked on

AhmadSALEH1
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro 2.2 Still does not have the capability yet !!!

0 Kudos
BenjaminOrpilla
New Contributor II

Nope... capability is not there yet

JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

The network dataset creation wizard in ArcMap is very extensive and we are working hard towards getting all the network dataset property page UI/UX into ArcGIS Pro. So the ability to create network dataset with all these capabilities is still not there. In the meantime this blog may help some users:

Create a Local Government Network Dataset 

Jay Sandhu

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

nice and hot off the presses too!

0 Kudos
PeterCorlett1
New Contributor II

Hi all, 

It has been a couple of years since this thread started and there seems to have been no change. I use ArcGIS Pro exclusively now, so how can I create a new Network Dataset from scratch?

Cheers,

Pete

0 Kudos