Creating new filegeodatabase

11-25-2020 08:24 AM
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

Hi, do I miss something.

Since deleting layer inside a filegeodatabase take forever, I just change the name of my database and, create a new one.

I use the catalog and in Databases, I right clic to make new one with the name I need.

Unfortunately, after the creation, the exclamation mark appeared like it not recognize the path.  I point to the database just created and now, the exclamation mark disappeared .

Why do I have to make two steps when creating a database.  In ArcMap one is enough .

Finaly I had to kill the process since it's turn and turn for the second database to change the source.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could be a path issue.  Since there are two ways of creating a file geodatabase, I suggest you try both approaches to see which meets your needs

Create a file geodatabase—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

I personally avoid shortcuts and ribbon selections.  I use the Geoprocessing tools in ArcToolbox since they are largely the same from the old arcmap days and have remained fairly constant in their interface and toolset locations over time.  Give this a try as well

Create File Geodatabase (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

and If you are still having an issue, reporting the saving location and its path may help fine-tune an acceptable answer

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

No,

Finally just an other bug.  After killing the project and reopen it, the ! was out and link ok.  

The database was effectively created but, maybe because Pro take forever to process thing, when listing my two new database it doesn't accept the link created so putting a ! in the mean time.

Maybe, trying to correct the missing link was a move to soon and bug pro.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't see the behavior you are describing.  What version of Pro are you using?  If you are not using the latest version, try upgrading to 2.6 Patch 3.

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I can't reproduce the behavior you are seeing.  I asked a couple co-workers to try your steps above, and none of them see the behavior you are seeing either.

Is there anything unique about your computer or Pro installation? Since basic operations like deleting a feature class in a file geodatabase "take forever" on your machine, I wonder if something isn't quite right with the installation or configuration.

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

Maybe,

Long before pro, we move everything from network to local disk.  Windows,ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro are on SSD but, still have speed problem.  We change the desktop to a more powerful computer i7 and, still have issue.

0 Kudos