Creating Attribute Rules in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
03-17-2021 03:44 PM
Labels (2)
LorindaGilbert
Occasional Contributor II

Hi all,

New to ArcPro and to Attribute Rules.  Have published a layer to our Enterprise Portal's Hosted site (V10.7.1), gave editing rights, etc to the Feature Service.

Open in ArcPro, make sure that the feature class is editable, attempt to create a Calculation Attribute Rule.  It is grayed out and says "Attribute Rules are read-only for feature services".

What am I missing?  If I remember correctly, when the feature is published to the hosted site, it then is independent of the version of the SDE that it came from (in this case V10.6.1).  Our Server, Portal, and Data Store are at V10.7.1.

I'd like to see if Arcade can handle two complex calculations that are dependent on 5 fields in the feature class (service) and another map service.  I've got the calculations written as a stored procedure in SQL Server, but would really like to keep all of the processing contained in some form of ESRI product.  This feature service will be added to a web app for ease of editing by non-ESRI users in the future.

Thanks,

Lorinda

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tigerwoulds
Occasional Contributor III

@LorindaGilbert I dont think you can edit attribute rules once the service is published. Try loading a local copy of the data from a FGDB to Pro, then setting up the attribute rules. Then Publish. Also make sure you are doing this from a standard or advanced license. 

Based on this doc and your error message, it seems you cant edit attribute rules for an existing feature service. 
Create and manage attribute rules—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

View solution in original post

7 Replies
tigerwoulds

Are you sure the service is Hosted and not referenced (aka pulling from the SDE database)? Check the SDE locks to see if your ArcGIS Server account has a lock, or possibly someone else. 

I would stop the service from Server Manager then remove any other locks in the SDE. Then try to create your Attribute Rules

0 Kudos
LorindaGilbert

Thanks TigerWoulds, I did check, it is a hosted service (not in our enterprise SDE though).  The URL is like: site.domain/server/rest/services/Hosted/IDFStormwater/FeatureServer/0?token=blahblah 

I also have where the service was created as a map service and a feature access 

site.domain/arcgis/rest/services/IDFStormwater/IDFStormwater/MapServer  

site.domain/arcgis/rest/services/IDFStormwater/IDFStormwater/FeatureServer 

All above with https:// of course.

Neither of the FeatureServer links allow for the Attribute Rules to be created.  The second one says that it failed to open source table.  First one, whether adding via URL or from Portal connection still says read-only.  I have also noticed that the title of the ArcPro project at the top says Read Only as well; when attempting to say the project, it fails to save.  Saving as a new project does not change the read only outcome of the Attribute Rules.

The top one does not have a way of turning it off, I have stopped/restarted the bottom two.  I'm the only one working on this data and in the SDE source, have removed all of the connections besides the map services (which were all set to not lock the schema).

Thanks for the items to look at though.

0 Kudos
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Try removing the token.

0 Kudos
LorindaGilbert

No dice.  Still read only.  Looks like I may have to go back to the SP and Trigger.  But even that isn't working yet, even though no errors came up in SQL.

I'd really like for this Attribute Rules to work as I have two more feature classes to migrate to another method of editing that can definitely use rules for entry.  All three of these feature classes are being migrated out of non-spatial Oracle tables into ESRI geodatabases and SQL Server.  Want to avoid SP and triggers if possible.  Already incorporating domains and subtypes, need to start adding more rules to enforce data integrity.

Thanks,

Lorinda

0 Kudos
tigerwoulds

My only other suggestion would be to log a case with esri support. Sounds like you are doing things right. It's odd that your Pro project is read only - not sure if this is related. 

0 Kudos
tigerwoulds

@LorindaGilbert I dont think you can edit attribute rules once the service is published. Try loading a local copy of the data from a FGDB to Pro, then setting up the attribute rules. Then Publish. Also make sure you are doing this from a standard or advanced license. 

Based on this doc and your error message, it seems you cant edit attribute rules for an existing feature service. 
Create and manage attribute rules—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

LorindaGilbert

Hi All,

Just got back to this. Turns out a couple of items were causing this issue. One, data was in an enterprise SDE and I was not connected as the data owner.  But I took TigerWoulds suggestion and moved the data to a fgdb and tested, I am able to add attribute rules now.  So will proceed in that direction for now; later I will try another as the owner of the data in the enterprise SDE.  That's for the next big data edit style switch for our addressing and streets using the Addressing Model.

Now I'm going to start a new thread since I am having issues with the Arcade expressions in the Attribute Rule.

Thanks for the help.

Lorinda

0 Kudos