Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating Annotation for Map Series

08-24-2022 01:59 PM
Labels (1)
LaurenJohns
Emerging Contributor

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I have a map series that is based on a pipeline. I made the map series using a strip index so every sheet is  rotated slightly differently. I want to create some standard annotation in the map to include notes about different aspects of the route (i.e. annotations are not related to just one feature class). I've tried several methods using the standard annotation and the graphics layers and neither of those were able to be rotated to match the orientation of my map series sheets. Does anyone have a solution that ideally does not involve me manually rotating all my annotations for every page? Thank you.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

When you say you have used standard annotation, are you using an annotation layer, or just adding text/graphics to the map?

If using annotation layer(s), my text rotates with the map itself automagically.

R_

0 Kudos
LaurenJohns
Emerging Contributor

I tried both methods and neither automatically rotated with the map series. I also hit the option to rotate labels as the data frame rotates but that did not work either.

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lauren, 

Unlike labels, annotation will not automatically update based on map rotation. You will need to edit the angle property of each annotation accordingly. For more information see https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/annotation/annotation.htm

For your case, I would suggest creating a new point feature class that has a field(s) with the text you want to display and using labels instead of annotation. Give the point a null symbol so it does not draw.  

Hope this helps, 

Tom

For a similar thread see https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/is-it-possible-to-rotate-labels-in-layout-mode/td...

0 Kudos
LaurenJohns
Emerging Contributor

Thanks Tom, I really want to have full control over where my label goes and I find that I can't get that through the labeling properties. I think I might be able to do some calculations in the annotation attributes for the angle based on the page angle in my map series.

Aside from this one issue, as someone who frequently used ArcMap, I am loving ArcGIS Pro!

Thank you!

Lauren

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Lauren, 

I understand the placement limitations of labels, however, if you are creating a point feature class just for labeling you can always move the point feature for better label placement. Though I do like your idea on calculating the angle. That should make for a cleaner solution than creating a new feature class.

Tom

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

That is weird.  Mine behaves like @Robert_LeClair post in the link that @TomBole supplied.

Maybe it is different with a map series, but if I make an annotation layer (as stated, is technically a polygon layer), then it will rotate with my map view.

Of course, being an annotation feature class, I can also edit/place each individual label as well.

RhettZufelt_0-1661444554462.png

RhettZufelt_1-1661444562210.png

R_

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rhett, 

Yes, in your example the annotation is rotating with the map frame as expected.

I believe the request was to have the annotation rotation adjust accordingly based on the map rotation of the current map sheet. My interpretation of this is to basically keep the text horizontal regardless of the map rotation. As far as I know, this cannot be done with though the UI.

Tom

0 Kudos