Creating and Sharing a Shapefile and/or File Geodatabase Feature Class

Jump to solution
01-05-2024 07:17 AM
WDMParkPlanner
New Contributor III

Hello,

I've been using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.5 for about 6 months now and am certainly a novice user. I am trying to email/send a shapefile (polygon data) I have created with a colleague and am not confident how to properly do so. Moreso, I am not sure I am creating my polygon data in the correct manner. I created my data using the create new Feature Class within a known database through the Catalog Pane. I can certainly locate this database folder in Windows Explorer, but I am completely lost when it comes to identifying my feature class "file(s)" that I need to send to my colleague. 

WDMParkPlanner_0-1704467365027.png

Below is what my windows explorer folder looks like and I was expecting to find at least one .shp or .shx file extension and I am not seeing one (I have some familiarity with shape files using ArcMap and know there are a handful of files that make up a single shapefile). 

How do I even create a shape file in GIS Pro?  

Is my Feature Class a good option instead of a shape file and one that can be shared by sending select files? If so, how?

Here are a few more shots of what I am looking at if it helps any. I would greatly appreciate any insight on the matter!

WDMParkPlanner_1-1704467756802.png

WDMParkPlanner_2-1704467769847.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

In Catalog, right click a folder hover over New, select shapefile 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

You windows explorer insert shows the files for a feature class not a shapefile. If you want to email a .shp then you need to export the feature class from the geodatabase in Catalog to a shapefile. Then you can go to windows explorer and select all the exported files you exported, zip them up to a compressed zip file. Then you can email the zip file. 

WDMParkPlanner
New Contributor III

Thanks, SLouq! That is helpful, I will plan to do that. Is there an easier way to just create a shapefile in the first place so I don't have to export from feature class? 

Maybe better yet, is there an easy reference to know which feature class files I can zip in windows explorer to share that?

Thanks, again!

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

In Catalog, right click a folder hover over New, select shapefile 

WDMParkPlanner
New Contributor III

Wow...i'm embarassed it is that simple. THANK YOU!!!!!

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

If you want to send as feature class, you just zip the File Geodatabase (General Parks Maps.gdb (which actually looks like a folder in Windows Explorer)).

This will let you send the entire FGDB, including ALL the feature classes, tables, etc. that are in it.  Or, r-click, new FGDB, copy/paste the desired feature class(s) into it, zip and send.

R_