Creating an Elevation Profile from a line feature in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
08-07-2023 04:40 AM
Labels (2)
KatyMiller
New Contributor II

Hi there,

I'm trying to create an elevation from a line feature similar to what is described here.

I have a GPX file that I have used to create a line feature and I want to create an elevation profile of this line feature. My understanding is that I need a ground elevation surface. Ideally a raster image like a DEM/DTM. Then I use the profile or elevation profile tool to create a relationship between the line feature and this ground elevation surface.

My questions are these:

- where can I get a raster DEM which covers UK, France and Spain for free? I don't need it to be necessarily too detailed as I know these are huge files to save on a personal computer. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

- also when it comes to creating the elevation profile, do I use the Profile geoprocessing tool, or some other tool eg exploratory 3D analysis?

Any help is greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance
Katy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@KatyMiller Looks like a fun project!

Try the following resources:

Elevation Coverage Map 
Terrain
World Hillshade

Good Luck!

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@KatyMiller Looks like a fun project!

Try the following resources:

Elevation Coverage Map 
Terrain
World Hillshade

Good Luck!

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
KatyMiller
New Contributor II

Hi Ayan,

Thank you very much for these links, they are really helpful to get me started. This is more a of side project based on a event I was part of the support crew and I wanted to create something as a memory of the adventure for those involved! I'm having a scope around the raster functions now.

Thank you very much

Katy