Select to view content in your preferred language

Create Vector Tile Package getting stuck at 3% and not finishing export

07-05-2023 09:36 AM
MegTracy
New Contributor III

I am trying to export a large vector tile package and it runs for several days, always stalled out at 3% and never finishing. It creates a staging folder location but does not complete exporting the package. 

Running on a local install and institutional license ArcGIS Pro 3.1.1, 32GB RAM, Intel Core i7-10850H CPU @ 2.70GHz, Windows 10 enterprise. All source data is stored locally and I am exporting to a local drive. I have tried letting it run for up to 5 days. 

I tried splitting the vtpk into smaller units and it will successfully export when split into 4 sections, but this full-scale vtpk product is essential to the workflows we are using and I have not found a way to make it work. I have tried both reducing the Maximum Cached Scale and removing elements with large numbers of vertices, and not had success. 

Has any one else been able to successfully export state level vtpks?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LeslieUK
Esri Contributor

Hi @MegTracy

Potentially you are having an issue with the disk space on your local machine. How much have you got remaining on your local drive? 

~Just trying to fix things~
0 Kudos
MegTracy
New Contributor III

I currently have 211GB free. 

0 Kudos
LeslieUK
Esri Contributor

Ahh okay, should be enough! Maybe it's a RAM issue as the optimal requirement for ArcGIS Pro 3.1 is 64GBs of RAM. Even then, depending on the scales you are working at, it may be worth testing on an even more specced-up machine.

~Just trying to fix things~
0 Kudos
MegTracy
New Contributor III

Yeah unfortunately given that I work for a gov agency, that option isn't really available to me. I have to work with the hardware I've got. 

0 Kudos
SStopyak_BruceHarris
New Contributor III

I'm having the same issue with a county-scale SSURGO soils layer. It is computationally too intense with the number of features and/or vertices and just hangs without generating an error.  Maybe ESRI could include a preliminary check on the number of features and/or vertices and have at least a warning message in the tool dialog. As far as I can tell, no output is being generated in either the target location or anywhere in a temp location in the user %appdata% while the tool hangs. There is still CPU and RAM usage occurring so it seems to be trying and failing to produce an output. I would classify the behavior as a bug though ESRI may prefer the term "known limitation". I haven't had many issues with smaller datasets.

andrewdc_tt
Occasional Contributor

I seem to have a similar issue creating a vector tile package for a very large, highly detailed New Zealand level dataset, which I'm expecting to result in a VTPK of around 200GB . I have a powerful machine with an i9 processor and 64GB of RAM, and more than enough disk space. I can see the output file directory getting progressively larger as it runs (at least as far as 67GB), so it is clearly working -  but then later on I get the ERROR 999999 after it has run for over a week, and the (incomplete) output file directory goes back to 10 GB exactly which is specifically weird. The error provides no starting points on how I can resolve the issue.

Is this a memory issue? Or an issue with Pro's Create Vector Tile Package tool? I've done similar data about half that size on a less powerful and I would have thought these specs would have been more than sufficient.