Select to view content in your preferred language

Create Township and Range as a Reference Grid Map Issue ?

Jump to solution
05-15-2023 11:41 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I am looking at the picture here https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/layouts/custom-grids.htm and it makes me wonder why is the map look like it is wide and it can show the township and range . On my side, I set the paper map size at 36 x48. When I add two Grids to it. One for  Township and One for Range.  The Problem is  I have is on the right side does not show labels and the left side shows it .  I have the Image in background and I think it has white collar around it.  Does that prevent the labels from showing it ?

When I resize the margin to small and narrow , it shows the labels on the right side .

Can a Reference Scale settings affect how the Labels show it on the Grid to show it or not ?

Any ideas why the wide one doesn't show it but the narrow shows it ?

@TomBole 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your  respond ! I figure it out why what was the cause for my right side the  labels not display.  The layer I had is a clipped from the original layer.  I went back to find the same one and is a full layer.  For example, the clipped layer was clipped from the original called PLSS and applied to our Area of Interest.  So  the original layer came from BLM. It is showed all over the USA, but I set it to Colorado only.

Now I can see all of the labels showed around nicely !

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

@PROBERT68 - I can only think of 2 reasons why you might not see custom grid labels. Each of these is illustrated below.

1. None of the features that make up the custom grid intersect the map frame edge. In this case there will be no grid label. In the example below the upper sides and the top of the map frame do not have labels because none of the US States (custom grid layer) intersect with the map frame edge.

2. Layout elements, such as an image, draw on top of the grid labels. If this is the case you may want to move the element (ex: picture) below the map frame.

Screenshot.PNG

At the moment I can't think of any other reason for no labels to draw along a map frame edge. If your scenario doesn't match the 2 above and you are still at a loss on why the labels are not drawing you may want to consider this as a bug and contact technical support. They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Hope this helps,

Tom 

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your  respond ! I figure it out why what was the cause for my right side the  labels not display.  The layer I had is a clipped from the original layer.  I went back to find the same one and is a full layer.  For example, the clipped layer was clipped from the original called PLSS and applied to our Area of Interest.  So  the original layer came from BLM. It is showed all over the USA, but I set it to Colorado only.

Now I can see all of the labels showed around nicely !

0 Kudos