Select to view content in your preferred language

Create "buffer" in same layer

11-29-2022 05:39 AM
Labels (1)
LarsElmkær_Chwastek
Frequent Contributor

Hi all,

I have a point layer for instance. I would like to create a buffer around a point with a 500 meters width. Then I would like to do a buffer on the same point but with a width of 1000 meters. 

Can these two buffers be saved in the same layer? So that you have a layer that cantains all of the buffers you are creating?

I know I can just create circles with a specified width, but then I have to dissolve it and so on.. So is there a quicker way to create these "buffers"?

And is there a way to push this functionality to web maps/ web apps?

Thanks 🙂

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It really depends on what you're wanting to do with the buffers. If you want to interact with them as polygons, then no, they can't be saved as part of the points layer.

If you don't mind keeping them as a separate layer, yes, you can create multiple buffers and keep them in the same output. Buffer tools can accept multiple distances, separated by commas, and they will all end up in the same output. The buffer tool also lets you specify whether or not the results should be dissolved, so you don't have to do that as a separate step.

You could, alternatively, create a symbol style that visualizes the points as a buffered area. This approach would not require the creation of additional layers, and has the benefit of being publishable as a map image for sharing via the web.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
DougGreen
Frequent Contributor

I guess I read the original question as "Can these two buffers be saved in the same layer?" and not as "Can these two buffers be saved in the point layer?". In which case, you can create a model with two buffer tools chained together with one set to buffer at 500 meters and one at 1,000 meters. Set the input to the first buffer as a model parameter. Then run the second buffer off of the result of the first buffer. Then add the merge tool to combine the two buffers into one layer. Set the output feature class of the merge as a model parameter as well. Then follow instructions in the documentation for how to publish a Geoprocessing Service. Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Honored Contributor

I believe you are describing the Multiple Ring Buffer tool.

Multiple Ring Buffer (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

You can specify your radii, and there is a parameter within the tool for selecting non-overlapping donuts or overlapping discs -- sounds like you're looking for discs.

0 Kudos
RemWilson
Occasional Contributor

You have a couple options for creating buffers in Pro.

Multiple Ring Buffer Geoprocessing tool (I don't recommend as it doesn't consistently buffer the correct distances you specify all the time).

Buffer Geoprocessing tool (you can set the buffer distance to 500m and have it create two rings, then dissolve any overlap into one feature)

Or, you can use the Buffer edit tool after creating a line or polygon feature for buffering. I enjoy this method the best as it lets you create buffers for the same feature layer from different inputs when needed. The geoprocessing tools will either overwrite or create new layers each time you run them, but this lets you add to an existing layer.

It also has the dissolve function as a check box if you want it to dissolve overlapping rings created around the points.

0 Kudos