Create lines at specific bearing

08-25-2021 03:50 PM
TinaKwitkoski
Occasional Contributor

I am wondering if there is a script that will create multiple lines based on the bearing and coordinates of a point feature held in a XLS. 

What I am trying to do is create slope arrows for a cruise plan map.  I have a slope table (xls), with ID, Length, Bearing, Slope%, Easting, Northing. Currently I create each line using the create line => Direction, length using the xls which is fine if I have only a few. But when I have 50+ to create it is time consuming. It would be nice to run a script/tool to create my lines automatically.. is there such a thing out there?  I searched online did not see anything helpful. 

Any help much appreciated. 

Tina 

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

perhaps Bearing Distance To Line (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

if the data are in, or can be derived, in your table

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
TinaKwitkoski
Occasional Contributor

I will try that one thanks..

0 Kudos
TinaKwitkoski
Occasional Contributor

I tried this tool and get an error message, not sure why..  any ideas?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you try converting the csv to a file geodatabase table?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

Can you please provide an example table (snippet) and the result you want to create?

Have a great day!
Johannes
0 Kudos
TinaKwitkoski
Occasional Contributor

Johannes, I have attached a snip of the final product. Essentially I need to produce lines (in this case 40m long) starting at the plot drawn in the direction of the bearing given to me, then that line is displayed with a arrow symbol and labelled with the slope of the land in the direction of the line. 

Currently the only way I know how is to  create each line using the draw line tool => direction/distance. 

Tina 

0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tina,

The csv screenshot seems fine, but the error message complains about OID -1. Would you be able to share the file so I can take a look? Thanks!  - Dan

0 Kudos
TinaKwitkoski
Occasional Contributor

Dan, here you go. As mentioned above I did try converting to a table in the geodatabase as well still same error. 

0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tina, which version of Pro are you using? 

0 Kudos