Create extra folders with APRX

04-14-2021 09:28 AM
Labels (2)
ANGAR
by
New Contributor II

Part of my org's workflow requires adding multiple folders inside the APRX folder once it is created (in addition to the default 'ImportLog' and 'Index' folders that are automatically created). Is there a way to edit settings so that these folders are automatically created with each new APRX? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Regular Contributor

You could write a python script that you could run after creating the new project.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/create-folder.htm

0 Kudos
ANGAR
by
New Contributor II

I definitely could do that, but it seems just as quick to simply manually create the new folders within the project folder itself, right? I am really hoping to have it completely automated within the creation of every new APRX.

0 Kudos
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Regular Contributor

You write one script with all of your folders needed and you will have them all automatedly created quickly with a single click or two.  

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have a structure for my projects including extra folders such as yours.

I keep an empty folder structure in my main project path.  When I start a new project, the basic structure gets created as you indicate.  Then I simply use File Explorer in windows to copy the empty folders from my empty project into the new project.  I takes about 15 seconds to do this, far less time than firing up a python IDE, loading a script or opening a toolbox with a personalized tool.

Automation is sometimes the path of most resistance, don't forget how you would do it if you weren't working in ArcGIS Pro but some other software package

... sort of retired...