Select to view content in your preferred language

Create Database Sequence tool fails with file geodatabase input

07-20-2020 01:08 PM
HaileyWright1
Regular Contributor

I’m trying to run Create Database Sequence in my file geodatabase using ArcGIS Pro version 2.1.3, but it keeps failing: “ERROR 000152: Geodatabase instance do not exist. This tool works only with an existing geodatabase instance.” The tool reference page states that it works with file geodatabase, and I've tried pointing the input parameter to several existing file geodatabases but it seems to be expecting an existing enterprise geodatabase as input. What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Hailey

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you try to do it in the python window?

import arcpy
arcpy.CreateDatabaseSequence_management(r"C:/geodatabases/myfilegdb.gdb", 
                                        "my_ids", 1, 1)

Make sure you are using raw encoding for the path to the geodatabase in case spaces or other non-supported characters are the issue

... sort of retired...
HaileyWright1
Regular Contributor

Thanks Dan for the quick help. Unfortunately I did try running this from the python window using raw encoding (based on your advice in another post) and received the same error message.

I’m wondering if this tool only supports file gdb input in a later version of pro but I can’t find any documentation to support my hunch. Due to internal IT processes my version often lags and I am currently running 2.1.3

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hailey Wright‌ I couldn't find anything specific related to that tool or on the error message related to that tool on the Support site

Esri Support | ArcGIS Technical Support 

So I suspect your suggestion may be correct.

Upgrading might solve the question

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
HaileyWright1
Regular Contributor

Thanks Dan! I’ll keep pushing for an upgrade

0 Kudos