Select to view content in your preferred language

Count points within polygons where an attribute matches in both

Jump to solution
11-22-2023 08:33 AM
Labels (2)
MichaelRobb2
New Contributor II

I am trying to do something which should be relatively simple but I can't seem to work it out, at least not without doing lots of intermediate steps, perhaps outputting to Excel to summarise it that way.

Essentially I have two layers:

• Polygon layer representing GP practice catchments (one per catchment)
  • Point layer of patients location and the details of the GP practice they are registered to (one record per patient) 

All I am trying to do is determine, for each GP practice catchment, the number of patients who are registered to that practice and within the catchment, and the number of patients who are registered to that practice and out with the catchment.  Ideally outputted to a nice table.

Part of the difficulty I am having is that I can't work out how to deal with GP practice catchment cross-over i.e a patient could be within 2 catchments but registered to only 1 (or neither!) of those GP practices.  I've attached a word document which I hope better explains the data.

Perhaps I am over complicating this in my head, I had thought that a spatial join and summarise would suffice but I kind of only want to spatially join patients to a particularly catchment if their Practice_ID is the same as said catchment.

Hopefully my scribblings make sense, thanks in advance for anyone's help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

yes it should just be a spatial join and some data wrangling.  I think what you're missing is that the join has to be One_to_Many to account for the overlapping catchments. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

yes it should just be a spatial join and some data wrangling.  I think what you're missing is that the join has to be One_to_Many to account for the overlapping catchments.