Select to view content in your preferred language

Correlate open attribute tables with open map frame in Pro

Jump to solution
07-24-2024 08:47 AM
JayHodny
Regular Contributor

Hello!  In some Pro projects, I have multiple map frames open, which may contain the same feature classes in each, as well as other feature classes.  If I open a few attribute tables for Map frame 1, and then switch to Map frame 2, the attribute tables already open are still correlated with Map frame 1.  Is there a setting or similar, that keeps the tables aligned with the map frame, when one switches between frames?  So, if Map frame 1 is open, and I have attribute tables for Map frame 1 open, and I switch to Map frame 2, the tables I had open for 2 will show.  I fear I am not making sense.  Maybe a "discrete container" idea, multiple map frame containers with associated layers, and attribute tables in each.  I made some unexpected editing snafus....thanks in advance. Jay

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

A layer's attribute table is inherited from its data source such as a fGDB feature class. The same feature class can be added to a Map or Maps as many times as needed with each one becoming it's own unique layer but sharing the same data source. If for example you delete a feature/row (an edit) from one "layer" it removes that feature and associated row from the data source, affecting all feature classes tied to that data source, which might explain your editing snafu?

A Map Frame is an element in a Layout.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

A layer's attribute table is inherited from its data source such as a fGDB feature class. The same feature class can be added to a Map or Maps as many times as needed with each one becoming it's own unique layer but sharing the same data source. If for example you delete a feature/row (an edit) from one "layer" it removes that feature and associated row from the data source, affecting all feature classes tied to that data source, which might explain your editing snafu?

A Map Frame is an element in a Layout.

0 Kudos
JayHodny
Regular Contributor

Hi Barry, Thanks for the reply.  The "map frame" phrase was a poor choice to use.  I failed to mention that definition queries were involved as well, with multiple maps each with different queries filtering the same data.  I was looking for a lazy way to keep things straight and organized.  Regards, Jay

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

Related idea: Switch between saved/grouped attribute table arrangements

It's almost as if I want to save attribute table arrangements to a given map. But I don't think that's how map views work in Pro projects.

0 Kudos