Select to view content in your preferred language

copyrights

07-21-2022 12:36 PM
EyalSchwarzwald
New Contributor

Hi. i have the advance licensse for arcgis pro. i got a job of designing a map for an exhebition. i need to use for it an esri' base map. i am  planning to do these job for profit and don't understand the copyrights procedure.

the plan is to use an esri base map but the customer wants the rights on the map. is it possible? 

it is for an exhebition and also for a book catalog.

what if i dont use a base map or use a base map that i get from qgis? is there a problem with the copyrights?

2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Copyright can be complicated, but thankfully, Esri's basemaps all have really well-defined credits. When you add a map frame to your layout, the frame should automatically stick any layer attribution into the map frame itself, usually along the bottom.

You can use a Dynamic Text element to hold the layer attribution instead, if you needed to reposition them or make them more prominent.

Outside of Esri's basemaps, it really depends on where you're getting it from. Different sources will have their own attribution requirements and guidelines.

One of the big questions is whether the use of the basemap will generate any kind of profit for you or your organization. When money is being exchanged, then things can get especially complicated.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Brian_Wilson
Honored Contributor

If you are using the "personal" license of ArcGIS Pro you can't use it to do works for hire. If you have a full license then anything you create yourself is yours.

You have to respect the rights of any data from a third party, for example if you use OpenStreetMap data you have to give them credit in the publication. This is really not a big deal, you just need to give them credit. No cost. See case 3 for example here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/License/Use_Cases

You don't need a basemap at all.

You don't get a basemap from QGIS, I think you mean you've seen the web based basemaps in there. Lots of those are restricted use, just like the basemaps in ArcGIS Pro. Either way you have to look up the source of each map and see what the usage restrictions are and then follow them. There are many basemaps (including one at Esri) that use OpenStreetMap DATA but they render it and they want probably credit for their map in addition to the credit given to OpenStreetMap for providing the underlying data. 

You should get credit for your work in the final publication too! 🙂 Good luck.