Select to view content in your preferred language

Copying Living Atlas Data when too large

Jump to solution
02-06-2024 02:07 PM
EricMyers2
New Contributor II

Hello, I am trying to clip data from ESRI Living Atlas and make it usable. I know I need to first copy the data or extract it to be able to use other Geoprocessing tools such as Clip, but when I try Copy Raster I get Error 001491 stating that it cannot process the above size limits of the image service and the maximum number of rows and columns is 30000 and 30000. I only need the data for one city but when I try to limit the column and row output for the other data set, I get a big blue square glitch and no attribute table. How can I limit the size enough to just get this city and get both datasets in a usable format with proper attribute tables?  copyproblem.JPGExportData.JPG

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

@EricMyers2 have a look at the metadata for the USA NLCD Land Cover layer. In the Processing Template section note the default is Cartographic Renderer. Great for when you want to add the data to a map as a reference layer, which is probably the most common usage. When you wish to use geoprocessing tools with the layer, however, then you first need to switch its Processing Template to the Analytic Renderer. 

PeterKnoop_1-1707324218681.png

You don't mention what your ultimate goals are after clipping, if any. There is a lot you can do with Raster Functions to manipulate raster data, without needing a to store a local copy of the data.

If you do need a local copy though, then switch to the Analytic Renderer: select the "USA NLCD Land Cover" layer in your Map's table of contents, then select the "Data" ribbon, and under Processing Template, select Analytic Renderer.

PeterKnoop_0-1707324077510.png

Then you can run the Clip Raster geoprocessing tool with "USA NLCD Land Cover" as the Input Raster, and with the Output Extent limited to the Chattanooga area. 

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

EricMyers2
New Contributor II

This worked, thank you Peter!! I was able to clip and then copy that data set. I need to do the same for one more data set. Is this possible for the data shown in the image below? There does not seem to be the same data Processing Templates. Heatseverity_processingtemplates.JPG

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MervynLotter
Regular Contributor

When working with data from ArcGIS Online, within geoprocessing tools, it is usually best to first use the Make Image Server Layer GP tool. Within this tool you provide the image service (right-click on layer in Contents pane and select Properties>Source), spatial extent, projection, cell size (important when working with DEM - should be at the resolution of the DEM and not the apparent "pixels" being served), etc. 

0 Kudos
EricMyers2
New Contributor II

Thank you! However, you lost me after "spatial extent." I used the Make Image Server Layer tool and input the location into Image Service, but I am not sure what else you are recommending to change here. With the default settings of this tool, the output is still uneditable and too large to copy or extract to use as my own data set. In addition, the output comes out as a greyscale value rather than the necessary RGB Bands. 

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Regular Contributor

Hi Eric

So after you inserted the image service layer, you need to set the extent using an existing feature or the Current Display Extent.  You can then also change the output coordinate system to match that of the data you are using in your analysis (you are not restricted to using WGS84 Web Mercator).  Next you are asked for the number of bands. It is always best to open the image properties (Properties>Source>Raster Information) and check the number of bands. In your case it will be 1. A RGB image will have 3 bands so this means your input image is just colourised and does not represent Red, Green and Blue bands. Under the Raster Information you will see the cell size is also 30m.  You can change this to any size you want (like 60 if teh data is too fine scaled). Set the number of bands 1. 

Click Run.  The output will be grey (because it is a single-band layer) and you just need to colourise it.

I do see a problem here in that the USA NLCD Land Cover is symbolized using the ClassName field and not the value field. Using the Make Image Service Layer tool the LandClass was not transferred.  I am not sure how to extract the value and landclass fields from the original layer in the living atlas.  You can extract them from here https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=3ccf118ed80748909eb85c6d262b426f

Just note that this is still an image service but you should be able to use it any most GP tools. You can select to Export it as a raster if need be. But you are still limited to 30 000 x 30 000 pixels. 

0 Kudos
EricMyers2
New Contributor II

I tried inputting the city boundary extent in Template Extent in "Parameters" and this left me showing nothing on the map at all. I then tried putting the city boundary in "Environments" Processing Extent and this came back as the full map again, just in greyscale. Again, I cannot use any GP tools with this data because it is too large. Any other routes to take or problem-solving measures with this strategy? spatial reference.JPGMakeImageServerResults.JPGinput image service copy.JPGraster.JPG

0 Kudos
EricMyers2
New Contributor II

Additionally, I am not sure what you mean by extracting the value and landclass fields from the original layer. That source is where all this data is from. I imported the Data From Path from that source and need am trying to rework it be usable data compatible with GP tools. 

0 Kudos
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

@EricMyers2 have a look at the metadata for the USA NLCD Land Cover layer. In the Processing Template section note the default is Cartographic Renderer. Great for when you want to add the data to a map as a reference layer, which is probably the most common usage. When you wish to use geoprocessing tools with the layer, however, then you first need to switch its Processing Template to the Analytic Renderer. 

PeterKnoop_1-1707324218681.png

You don't mention what your ultimate goals are after clipping, if any. There is a lot you can do with Raster Functions to manipulate raster data, without needing a to store a local copy of the data.

If you do need a local copy though, then switch to the Analytic Renderer: select the "USA NLCD Land Cover" layer in your Map's table of contents, then select the "Data" ribbon, and under Processing Template, select Analytic Renderer.

PeterKnoop_0-1707324077510.png

Then you can run the Clip Raster geoprocessing tool with "USA NLCD Land Cover" as the Input Raster, and with the Output Extent limited to the Chattanooga area. 

Hope that helps!

EricMyers2
New Contributor II

This worked, thank you Peter!! I was able to clip and then copy that data set. I need to do the same for one more data set. Is this possible for the data shown in the image below? There does not seem to be the same data Processing Templates. Heatseverity_processingtemplates.JPG

0 Kudos
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

@EricMyers2 I am not familiar with that data set, so I'm afraid I cannot help you out with it. If Clip Raster won't work with it with its default processing template, then you might look at its metadata to see if it provides any guidance.

0 Kudos