Select to view content in your preferred language

Copy/Paste Special

07-28-2023 08:40 AM
Labels (2)
JuliePatronas
New Contributor II

I am in version 3.1.2 and when I try to copy/paste special, the my ArcPro session freezes up and I have to kill it from task manager.  Is this a bug in the new version?  Sometimes I can use the Append tool, but at other times, I just need the geometry, not the whole attribute schema.

5 Replies
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

Hello @JuliePatronas , when you use Paste Special (as opposed to Paste) an extra form labelled "Paste Special" appears, where you can select some options for your paste. You don't mention this form so perhaps it is appearing but you can't see it. It might be behind something, or right at the edge of the screen, or on a second screen etc. Pressing ESC will Cancel this form - does that then unfreeze ArcGIS Pro for you ? If so, try setting your PC's Screen Resolution to the minimum, then the maximum, to see if this form then appears as expected.

ChrisUnderwood_0-1690878555057.png

0 Kudos
JuliePatronas
New Contributor II
Hello Chris,
No, once I click the paste special, usually the form will pop up and I can select which layer to paste into. Since the last update, when I click paste special, no form pops up and by clicking paste/special, my PC locks up. And I have to kill ArcPro from task manager.
I have found a work around by going into the catalog pane and right clicking my feature class and selecting 'load data'. It opens the append tool and I can map the fields manually.
0 Kudos
IraEdwards1
New Contributor

I'm now doing a big projest and was planning on pulling in a lot of shapes to create a new boundary file.  this is happening to me also.  did you find any solutions?

0 Kudos
IraEdwards1
New Contributor

on the suggestion of some coworkers, I upgrade pro from v3.14 to v3.20 and the issue seems to have resolved itself

0 Kudos
JuliePatronas
New Contributor II
I am using the latest version of ArcGIS Pro (currently 3.21) and I still cannot use the 'Paste Special' function. I have to use the 'Append' tool as a work-around.