Copy Paste special clipboard

05-12-2021 01:48 PM
AnnabelleStewart1
New Contributor II

After using the Copy/Paste Special commands my program gets very slow.  Every tool I attempt to use takes about 30 seconds to initialize.  When I go to Open/Close (which is the only way to get back up to speed) a window tells me I have a large amount of information on the clipboard and I verified that the Paste button still shows as 'available' after I have done my initial paste.

I'm wondering if this is why the program starts running slower and if there is a way to clear the clipboard?

Thanks!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DrVSSKiran
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

There might be two scenarios.

1. If pasted dataset size is huge and the entire data is not pasted then this type of slow might be happening because you have mentioned that after pasted initial still paste option is active.

2. Program might not respond sometimes.

The best way to resolve this type of issue is to terminate the program and reinitiate it again.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AnnabelleStewart1
New Contributor II

Thank DrVSSKiran, I'm copy/pasting several polygons of various sizes from one feature class to another, but I wouldn't classify it as huge in the ESRI world.  As far as I can tell everything that I copied is pasting, but I seem to get the slow down regardless of size.  What I'm trying to avoid is having to open/close the program multiple times.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @AnnabelleStewart1 

What kinds of things are you copying? Features on a map, records in a table, layers in contents pane, catalog items? How many? Does it happen every time? What specific tools are taking 30 seconds to initialize?

I know, lots of questions. So this could be a good one for Esri Technical Support: https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
AnnabelleStewart1
New Contributor II

Hi Scott, thanks for the reply.  I'm working with a set of polygons on a specific layer in a gdb, selecting anywhere from 1 to 20 of them from the Attribute table then copy and pasting them into another layer.  They are of various size, I would say no bigger than 20 acres.  After I've pasted them and go back to the Attribute table to select my next polygon(s) I get the blue spinner and window stating that it is waiting for the tool to initialize.  So the selection tool?  I'm not quite sure since I'm in the Attribute table.

No it doesn't happen every time, but enough for me to go looking for answers  😉

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks @AnnabelleStewart1 for that info. I tested on my end, and so far, I can't reproduce it.

When you can reproduce it, I would suggest showing it to Esri Technical Support Maybe it's data-specific or specific to where the data is stored? If so, they can help narrow that aspect down.

Or if you can capture the behavior in video form, and can share it, feel free to post it here.

Thanks,

Scott

jorisfrenkel

Hi Annabelle,

I am seeing the same behaviour as you describe, to varying degrees of severity. So I am wondering if you managed to solve this problem and find a cause.

I am also curious in which version of Pro you experienced this, and if it was solved in a newer version. We are currently using 2.6.7. Add ing to that, I have this problem in a virtualized environment only. Are or were you working in a virtualized environment too?

It would be nice to hear from you.

Joris Frenkel, Staatsbosbeheer, the Netherlands

AnnabelleStewart1
New Contributor II

Hi Joris, 

I am currently working in 2.8.3, honestly I don't recall which version I was in when this was happening and I don't work in a virtualized environment.  I usually update when they are available so I would guess whichever version was current in May of this year. I haven't noticed the issue happening in a while so it may have been taken care of with one of the updates. 

Cheers!

Annabelle

jorisfrenkel

Hi Annabelle,

Thanks for your reply!

Joris

0 Kudos