Copy/paste feature classes in catalog?

01-17-2022 05:47 AM
IlkaIllers1
Occasional Contributor III

I used to copy and paste feature classes in ArcMap directly in the Catalog. Now in ArcGIS Pro, very often the pasting takes a very long time, simply displaying:

IlkaIllers1_0-1642427134933.png

The task manager doesn't indicate anything wrong with it, it is simply not advancing with the paste. Any ideas why this might be happening?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarcelSt-Germain

Almost normal for Pro.  It's very slow. 

One problem that I had is with a source who defines fields from tables with joins. Since it was direct official data that I used, I never look for joins since anything indicate in catalog this structure.  It was ESRI who find the problem when checking my problem.

Maybe it's your case

Changing this source with the same with direct field save the problem.  So Pro have to make the fields and it takes forever.  

In any case, Pro is slower and slower vs arcmap for most jobs.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hmmmm...my copy/paste does not perform slowly but then again all my data is local on disk.  Are you doing a copy/paste over your network?  One option to try is go to Options-Indexing-click "Don't create index" and "delete index" to see if this helps with the copy/paste.  You can learn more about indexes here 

Question - what type of data are you copying/pasting from/to?

0 Kudos
IlkaIllers1

I am copying feature classes and annotation classes from one dataset to another. Nothing crazy. Possibly the annotation classes could be a problem since they are ArcMap annotations?

I have to admit I have problems understanding the whole indexing, so I don't like to mess with it since I have no idea what I might be breaking. 

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

Hi,

Found no problem when my annotation was in arcmap format on speed.  Only drawback is these annotations have to be converted to be edited.

Making conversion in Pro is a little bit awkward.

0 Kudos