Copy & Paste between Layers in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
10-09-2020 06:07 AM
BimallNaidoo1
New Contributor II

Hi

I am using ArcGISPro 2.6 and am trying to copying and paste between layers. I have seen others, on GeoNet, experience the same issue and have overcome it by using the paste special option. It is still not working for me.

All my layers that I want to work with are editable see screen shots. I would really appreciate any assistance as I am resorting to extracting and merging and I creating several temp files. Just a note I am using shapefiels and I am working outside a geodatabase, not sure if this makes a difference.

Thanks

BimallCopying_Pasting_Between_Layers_ArcGISPro2_6#

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

It can a bit tricky but what works for me:

1) Select the polygon, or polygons, that you want to copy across to another layer.

2) With your cursor still over the map view, with the map view active, right-click and choose Copy.

3) Then from the Map tab and Clipboard group, select the option to Paste Special.

4) Then select the required feature layer from the list of available editable options. 

It is important to make sure that the map view is active, not the Contents pane or any of the other panes.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

It can a bit tricky but what works for me:

1) Select the polygon, or polygons, that you want to copy across to another layer.

2) With your cursor still over the map view, with the map view active, right-click and choose Copy.

3) Then from the Map tab and Clipboard group, select the option to Paste Special.

4) Then select the required feature layer from the list of available editable options. 

It is important to make sure that the map view is active, not the Contents pane or any of the other panes.

BimallNaidoo1
New Contributor II

Thanks Mervyn

I read that in in other posts. I think every time I used the select tool I toggled to the Edit panel and then the Map panel was inactive.  I had to close and open ArcGIS Pro but i worked.

Thanks

Bimall

0 Kudos