Select to view content in your preferred language

Copy Parallel Buffer Tool - Where is it?

Jump to solution
09-15-2024 11:36 AM
ewmahaffey
Emerging Contributor

I'm trying to copy polygons in parallel at a specified distance similar to the "Copy Parallel" tool that only works with line features.  A quick Google search generative AI results mention a tool called "Copy Parallel Buffers" tool, but I can't seem to find it within ArcGIS Pro (Advanced).  Supposedly it's located within "Modify" > "Construct" > "Copy Parallel Buffer". Anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor
7 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Multiple Ring Buffer (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

all the copy parallel references that I could find refer to copying line features.  If your intent is to create a buffer with a list of distances, then the above tool will do that

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ewmahaffey
Emerging Contributor

Thanks Dan.  I'm not necessarily trying to create buffers, but more along the lines of duplicating a polygon in parallel to the original one anchored at a specific distance from it.  If I draw a rectangle, I want to select it and copy it in parallel to one side or the other similar to the Copy Parallel tool for lines.  Buffers will extend beyond the end of the polygon which is not what I want.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

polylines have a side, left or right

polygons or closed-loop polylines have inside or outside, but no left or right,

it almost sounds like you want to copy a shifted version of a polygon (left, right, up or down)

... sort of retired...
ewmahaffey
Emerging Contributor

Correct.  Basically just duplicate the polygon and move it to a specified distance and direction.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@ewmahaffey Try the Array tool:

Scott_Harris_0-1726490647695.png

ewmahaffey
Emerging Contributor

Thanks Scott!  That worked perfectly!

SeaRM
by
Regular Contributor

It can be done manually by calculating the nodes coordinates with the defined offset and just building polygons from the new points. But I understand that you are looking for the automatic way to do it.

As for AI, unfortunately, it makes mistakes really often, all the results of AI cannot be reliable and should be checked.