Copy and Paste features between feature layers in ArcGIS Pro

09-19-2017 11:11 AM
SUSANMYERS
New Contributor III

Copy and paste using the clipboard—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop   

Seems pretty straightforward....but not?  

Two feature polygon layers, which have templates that display in the manage templates dialog box, and which have identical attribute table structures except for one field.  Copy the features from one layer and paste them into the other feature layer using ArcGIS Pro.... 

• Zoom to the features to be copied and select them.  They are the only selection in the map.
  • On the Edit tab, choose Copy 

result: "Copying selected features" box shows the copying is executed.

• Paste Special from the Paste drop down or using CTRL-ALT-V

either way, same result: "Paste Special Features" box appears and says  ?There are no appropriate templates.

This is so basic, it has to be user error, what am I missing?

18 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is that reference to '... which have identical attribute table structures except for one field ...

that bothers me.  Can you 'fix' that situation to see if makes the difference in the available templates

0 Kudos
SUSANMYERS
New Contributor III

Hi Dan, thank you for the reply.

I hear you, that is why I included that. But please tell me Pro will allow copying say, a parcel shape to a zoning layer, which would have two different attribute tables that may or may not have a few fields in common.  Although this is not the case with my current layers, is that not a basic need—to be able to copy the geometry and paste it to a different layer, and whatever attributes come along for the ride depends on the attributes?  I will do the 'fix' and get back shortly.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Susan, if the process works in ArcMap with the same files and doesn't work in Pro, then this would be an issue for sure.  I have only copied geometry and not attributes, so perhaps that is where the phrase caught my eye.

0 Kudos
SUSANMYERS
New Contributor III

ArcMap flies through this.  So, I am starting to think the coordinate system is the touchy culprit.  

Touchy because the only way I am getting copy and paste to work is by starting a new instance of Pro, new project, new map and allowing Pro to set the coordinate system based on the added data, and both are in the same coordinate system, thankfully.  I try adding a new map to the other project, adding data and it will work, but I cannot copy and paste the layers from one map to a new empty map in the same project and get the copy/paste to work on features.  Only way Pro has cooperated so far for me is to Add Data to a new map with no predetermined coordinate system.  Does that make sense?

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

To me it does.  Geometries have to be known and matched.

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

Susan, that sounds very unusual. I have just created a new map, changed the projection to something different than that of my feature classes, then added my feature classes and I could copy across geometry and attributes. 

Perhaps start up a new project and try adding the same layers to copy across features. 

SUSANMYERS
New Contributor III

I agree with you Mervyn, and after additional testing, I have come to the conclusion I may not figure out how to salvage that project.  I am glad to discover that Pro does work the way I had hoped it would, (until it doesn't, haha!).  Thank you very much for your time.

0 Kudos
SUSANMYERS
New Contributor III

By the way, it was an imported ArcMap file...

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Susan

You can quite easily copy across features and attributes from one file to the other. Just ensure that both features are editing enabled (under the TOC). Select feature, then right-click on feature and select copy.

Then go to Paste, Paste Special, then select the appropriate receiving template or layer to paste feature into. There is a even a tick-box to "Keep source attribute values".

I was able to copy across the attributes into the same fields of the receiving template attribute table. The fields were perfectly matched and in the same geodatabase.