Select to view content in your preferred language

Coordinate System: Going Online

07-27-2023 06:47 AM
vg11
by
Occasional Contributor

Hello everyone. I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2. I am trying to share a web map, I made a copy of the map I use primarily to test out sharing a web map. We use NAD 1983 in our primary map, but when I attempted to share the copied map to the web, I received errors, needing to select a basemap, than I had to keep the same projection throughout the map, ultimately matching my basemap, WGS 1984. 

Pictured, is the primary map in NAD and the copy in WGS. When I make edits or move points in my map, they also move in the copy. Another thing is, in my primary, the points are tight and uniform, as I have spent a lot of time making points uniform. In the other map, the points do not appear that way, and when I attempt to adjust them in the copy, it also moves the points in my primary, appearing not uniform. How can I maintain that uniform look, while also making the necessary adjustments to the projection? Is there any way to share as NAD with a NAD basemap? Or a way to go to WGS without such a big difference in position? I think the changes are reflected in both places because the layers share the geodatabase, would I be better off making an entirely different map with shapefiles or something instead of sharing geodatabase? Help pls, thanks!

4 Replies
CarsonG
Occasional Contributor III

If you want to maintain your NAD 83 CS throughout, you need to create a custom basemap.

Basemaps—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

0 Kudos
vg11
by
Occasional Contributor

I am having some trouble accomplishing this. I need the world imagery basemap to be converted to NAD 1983.... I'm struggling to find a way to do this. Every time I try to create a custom basemap or apply a datum transformation, the map or basemap property is NAD but when I check the properties of the world imagery layer, it stills says WGS 1984. I think I'm doing something wrong but not sure what. The link you sent says to add data, but what if I just want the world imagery ?

0 Kudos
CarsonG
Occasional Contributor III

I am not aware of ESRI having the world imagery layer in NAD83. 

The world imagery layer cannot have the CS altered.

Your best bet might be going to local state, county or city GIS servers and downloading imagery and projecting them to the CS you need.

0 Kudos
DhaneeyaR_
Esri Contributor

Hi @vg11

ArcGIS Online default basemaps are all in Web Mercator coordinate system. To test if your data would be aligned once published to ArcGIS Online, you can set your map frame on ArcGIS Pro to Web Mercator first.

FAQ: How can I control how hosted feature layers are reprojected when viewed on ArcGIS Online basema... 

I would suggest using the Project tool for your data to convert to Web Mercator before publishing it as a Web map to ArcGIS Online. 

Hope this helps! 

Cheers. 

Neeya

0 Kudos