Select to view content in your preferred language

Coordinate Conversion

11-15-2022 04:38 PM
Labels (1)
Koozie
by
New Contributor

I need help with coordinate conversion. My goal is to take points to then convert to MGRS coordinates to then transfer to excel.  The steps I've taken start with addding x, y coords to the attribute table of said feature class, then trying to use Convert Coordinate Notation to make MGRS coords to then transfer to excel useing Table to Excel. My problem occurs at the conversion from x, y in two separate fields using DD_2 as an input and trying to export as MGRS with selected Datum. I always receive an error saying Created with Warnings in yellow font. It will create a feature class with MGRS field added with no data. I checked and double checked that everything was projected properly, I restarted ARC PRO, and have effectively wasted hours trying to figure life out.  I don't know my current version as I forgot to write it down. Any help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
VinceE
by
Occasional Contributor II

Does your input data have a defined projected coordinate system? Or are you only working with data that has a geographic coordinate system? What are the field types of your X and Y coordinates? Before you even try to calculate MGRS coordinates, do the input Lat/Long values look valid to you? Is this a feature class with geometries, or just a table?

I just tried this with DD_2 as the input (a field for the Lats, a field for the Longs, like you said, both of which are "Double" type) and my results seem fine (minus the Excel export, that's the easy part).

One thing to try might be creating the data out to a "memory" location. If you are not familiar with this, in the "Output Feature Class" input line, write "memory\Output" (without the quotes). This might help diagnose if this is a weird write privilege thing or a shapefile thing, etc.

If don't have data privacy concerns, it could be helpful to include a screenshot of your attribute table with those X/Y columns.

0 Kudos