Convert a ModelBuilder Tool from Pro to use in ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap/ArcCatalog

05-07-2021 11:42 AM
SueDunham
New Contributor III

Hello!

I have created a modelbuilder tool in ArcGIS Pro and my coworkers would like to use it in ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.1. I have tried to export the toolbox into 10.3 format, the toolbox shows up in ArcCatalog in 10.8.1, but the modelbuilder tool does not show up. Any tips on how I can get this to work? I followed the documentation here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/geoprocessing/modelbuilder/modelbuilder-chang...

Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'd lobby to get your coworkers to use Pro!

That should just about do it....
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Although many tools are common between the two applications, there are some (for example Add Fields) which are only available in Pro. Some Model Builder flow control tools (if, loops) are only available in ArcMap. And sometimes it just doesn't work. I have found that to get the model to work in ArcMap I need to simply re-create it on the ArcMap side.  I have had much better luck with writing python toolboxes that work for both.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

@curtvprice  sneaked in a couple of versions ago

Add Fields (multiple) (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

@DanPatterson  My point (garbled, I just edited my post to fix it) was that Add Fields is a Pro-only tool, so it if it was in a model created in Pro, the model would not work (maybe wouldn't open) in ArcMap - which does not have this tool.  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ahhh I read arcmap... saw you edited it.

Too bad they don't have the reverse of this...

Analyze custom geoprocessing tools for ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos