Construct Polygons from .dwg polylines

Jump to solution
06-13-2019 03:27 PM
GregoryKim
New Contributor II

When using the Construct Polygons tool in ArcGIS Pro, I am not able to select the .dwg polylines so I can generate the polygon.  I am following the instructions found here:  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/editing/construct-polygons-from-features.htm.

I also have a question about line 3 of the instructions. 

Click Active Select Active Select and select the polyline features from which you want to create the new polygon features. The features must be on the same layer.

What does it mean when it states "The features must be on the same layer."  Does that mean I cannot select polylines from a .dwg to create into a feature class?

When I try to select the polyline.  It flashes, but does not get selected.  Video is attached.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
AdamDaily
Occasional Contributor II

Scott,

Is this construct polys tool still going to be fixed in Pro 2.5, and do you know how soon that will become available? I heard it scheduled for a January release.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Adam,

Yes, Construct Polygons works with lines from CAD drawings at 2.5. As far as release date for 2.5:

Here is a recent discussion about it: https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-13641-arcgis-pro-roadmap-july-2019#comment-81988 

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
AdamDaily
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you Scott,

Looking forward to all the new features in 2.5.

GregoryKim
New Contributor II

The Construct Polygons tool in ArcGIS Pro v2.5 has been fixed.  Thank you Scott and ESRI team.

dala
by
New Contributor II

I am having the same issue as the initial post. Using Pro 2.4.3 Advanced License. However, I am using regular shapefiles. I cannot select a feature. Somehow once, I got a selection but the "Construct" button was still greyed out. Wondering if I'm interpreting the use of this tool incorrectly. Or is this something that will work in 2.5?

I have a shapefile of contiguous polygons. I created a new shapefile where I want to add some of the polygons from the first shapefile to the second. I will add individual polygons periodically (over months or years), which is why I'm not creating a new file from a selection. Seems like if I can use the Construct Polygons tool and select one polygon from the first shapefile to create it in the second shapefile, that would be simplest.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Danielle,

Construct Polygon is used to create polygons from closed loops of selected lines. So you need lines and polygons in the map. With Construct Polygons open, select the lines that form a closed loop, choose a polygon feature template and click Construct.

Construct polygons from features—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

In your case, it sounds like Copy > Paste Special would work to copy polygons from one layer to another.

Copy and paste features using the clipboard—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

I hope this helps. Thanks,

Scott

dala
by
New Contributor II

Hi Scott,

Thanks so much! I can't believe I didn't know about this or that any of my search queries didn't pop this up. I'll give it a try and let you know if there's any issues. Thanks!