Configuring Parallels Desktop 17 Pro for ArcGIS Pro

01-05-2022 03:19 PM
KatieDino
New Contributor

Hello!

I am a student and trying to properly configure Parallels Desktop 17 Pro Edition to run ArcGIS Pro 2.9.  I have only found information regarding  Parallels 12.  Unfortunately my university does not support Parallels or Mac.   I attempted to run Boot Camp and we ran into issues.  I was able to get by with Parallels Standard last term but it was not configured properly.   I really struggled with performance in my Cartography class, toward the end of the term.  
Does anyone know the proper configuration for Parallels Desktop 17 Pro Edition and my MacBook to successfully run ArcGIS Pro 2.9?   

I currently have configured Parallels to the "recommended" 4 CPUs, 6GB RAM (up to 3 GB for graphics)

And the graphics are also set to default. 

I also deselected "automatic graphics switching" on my Mac.

Is my Mac capable of successfully running ArcGIS Pro 2.9 or should I consider a new computer?

Thank you in advance!

Katie

2016 MacBook Pro (15- inch)
Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 530 1536b MB
Storage: 500 GB Flash Storage (228 GB available)

macOS Monterey 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From here

Run ArcGIS Pro on a Mac—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Running ArcGIS Pro 2.3 and later on a Windows virtual machine (VM) on MacOS requires Parallels version 15 or later. Earlier versions of Parallels are not recommended with ArcGIS Pro.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
KatieDino
New Contributor

I did read that article.

It is written for Parallels version 15.

I need information on the PRO version 17 

The little bit mentioned in that article is a bit vague and a bit challenging for someone without much experience to follow. For example... "Set the GPU memory assignment to Auto".  Are they referring to a configuration within Parallels or the Mac?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

... Parallels version 15 or later.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

My short answer: Pro's absolute minimum RAM requirement is 8 GB. I would not attempt running it with less.  Since your Mac is pretty much limited at 16 GB, you probably want to consider installing Windows under Boot Camp so you will not RAM-starve ArcGIS.

0 Kudos