Configuring Group Templates with Feature Builders

03-20-2017 01:28 PM
AndrewHargreaves
Occasional Contributor II

Hello

I am attempting to create a new Group Template within ArcGIS Pro. My hope is to recreate the existing templates that come along with the Water Utility Network Editing solution. Specifically this solution contains an ArcGIS Desktop MXD that contains a series of pre-configured group templates that, with a single click, allow a user to: 

• create a water meter (point)
  • create an associated lateral (line)
  • split that lateral with a curb stop valve (point)
  • connect to the nearest water main

Using the below Group Template with Builders in ArcGIS Pro I am close to what i want, however:

• This requires the user to draw a line, connecting the end to the water main. I need the lateral to be auto-created simply from dropping a point.
  • The curb stop gets placed correctly, however it fails to split the single lateral line into two - how is that achieved?

Any help, guidance, advice or encouragement is gratefully received.

Close...but no cigar

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LarryYoung
Esri Contributor

Hi Andrew,

What the water toolset in ArcMap has is a custom tool to create the configuration of features that you describe.  The tool works well with the geometric network and the data model being used for the water solution.

In ArcGIS Pro, Group Templates are a configurable way for users to add many features with a single sketch.  We've discussed adding capabilities to allow authors of templates to define that lines snapped to should be split, etc., but we've not yet come up with a good implementation for that within a generic editor.  When working with features from a Network Dataset (transportation networks), you can define that roads automatically split when you snap another road to it, however.

For water networks, the bulk of the functionality you are after will come with the Utility Network and a release of ArcGIS Pro later this year.

Larry