Complex Select by workflow

08-30-2019 11:40 AM
ChelsieWollett
New Contributor II

I have a commuting data set that is structured so that basically workplace location (let's say county for simplicity), home location (again county), and number of people commuting between those two locations. I can obviously grab a county shapefile, but I am confused as to how to go about the next steps.

My end goal is to be able to input a set of home counties and utilize ArcGIS to have it show me the work counties. I am new to the analysis side of GIS software and am unsure exactly how to word my searches to get initial ideas of where to go next.

Have others managed this sort of workflow? (Input area > do these steps > get output area > adjust symbology to share visual representation to others) If so, a nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated!

I do know Python if the best solution here would be that route.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichelleTotman
Occasional Contributor

Hello Chelsie,

I would approach this problem by using relationships. Here's a link to get you started in that direction: Creating a simple relationship class—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Best,

Michelle

0 Kudos
ChelsieWollett
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply, Michelle. I looked into the file you linked, but my New > Relationship Class option is not available. I imagine this is due to my ArcGIS license not being high enough. Though, I can add relationships to a feature class. Will that get me where I want to go, or is my only option to beef up my license?

0 Kudos
MichelleTotman
Occasional Contributor

Hello Chelsie,

Adding a relationship to the feature class should do the job. You'll probably want to relate using some sort of commuter ID. Here's the link for going that direction: Essentials of relating tables—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Best,

Michelle

0 Kudos