Select to view content in your preferred language

Combining spatial relationships with definition query/display filters

04-21-2023 07:53 AM
MBreiten
New Contributor II

I have two feature layers, one containing points and one containing a polygon. I would like to display the points depending on whether they lie within the polygon or not. I know how to use the definition query and display filter features, but these only seem to work through the attributes of the point features.

So what I'm looking for is a way to integrate the spatial relation between the two feature layers into one of those ways of filtering the displayed points. I know I could create a new attribute and save the relation in there, but I would like to avoid that solution since it's likely I'll move the polygon around and I would have to reevaluate that attribute everytime (same goes for exporting the points to a new feature layer). If there's a way of having that attribute update automatically everytime I move the polygon, that would of course be OK too, but I wasn't able to find an approach to that either.

It feels like there should be an easy solution I'm just not seeing right now, so all help is much appreciated!

ArcGIS Pro 3.1.0, Windows 10

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would suggest looking into layer masking for your display issues.  

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/layer-properties/use-a-masking-layer.htm

As for the automatic attribute updates, what exactly are you trying to achieve? You may be able to use attribute rules for that one. i.e. when the polygon boundary updates change a value in the points attribute table

0 Kudos