Select to view content in your preferred language

Combine Spatial and Thematic Map Series?

11-13-2023 07:34 AM
K_Jueckstock
Occasional Contributor

Hey everyone, 

After updating Pro to 3.2 I have been messing around with the new radio group. I created a radio group with watermains in a city symbolized on two different fields, by diameter (color) and by material type (color). Because it's a city, I have a grid of 15 rectangles for my map index and need to show a map for each of the 15 rectangles for both diameter and color. I really really am hoping there could be a way to have both a thematic and spatial index at the same time. Currently, the thematic map option will make one map of the diameter, and one map of the material, but I need it to make 15 of each based on the grid...so I'm looking for a spatial thematic hybrid. 

Does anyone know if this functionality exists? Is there a way to ask it to do both things? I'm enjoying the new radio button option, just trying to figure out how to make it work with current projects. 

Thanks 

2 Replies
jmcewen_ddg
Occasional Contributor

I was just having this conversation with a colleague 5 minutes ago! The work through (not a solution) that I've used before is to have two groups of layers in a single map with the geometry used for a spatial map series outside of that. Also need to have your layout text boxes configured for both versions. Run the spatial map series based with group A layers and layout text/title elements turned on, then run again with group B layers and layout text/elements turned on instead. There's some repetitive work but at least you'd still only be dealing with one map and one layout until Esri is able to implement this later in...2024???....¯\_(ツ)_/¯

K_Jueckstock
Occasional Contributor

Hmmm I will try this out, thanks for the work around!! I'm really hoping this will be rolled out soon haha, until then..we improvise and carry on 

0 Kudos